Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Don't Forget.....

The Iraq flag
Dixie, standing behind Zach. Demonstrating the womans place in that culture
Toby, showing what the woman wear over there, and helping Dixie put on her dress
The gas masks all the Soldiers carried with them, and often had to use
Some of the things she brought back from Iraq, she even gave us their old money with Sadam's face on it. So cool.
Sunday night, Brett and Emily invited us over to their house to watch a presentation of a Soldiers year in Iraq. Her name is Toby, she is Emily's personal trainer, and she also spent a year in Iraq, as Military Police. She is one tough, amazing woman. She brought tons of pictures, and started with a power point presentation of them. Then she showed us all the stuff she brought home, and told some great stories. She started doing this presentation, just cause she hated the way the media gets everything wrong. It never got too political, but she did say, she thinks we did the right thing for that country, and that their country is better because we are there. And she actually said she would do it all again, as hard as it was. Even though she agrees, soon we need to go, and let them do it on their own. I learned so much, it was truly eye opening. I wish everyone could see it. It would totally change people's opinions on the war, and on Iraq, and on Muslims. ( I know it changed my opinion) Before America got there, Al-queida just moved weapons aroung all over the country. She remembers seeing missles and bombs, lying in the sand, with children playing soccer just feet away from them. Weapons of mass destuction or not, Al-queida had a major presence there, and Sadam loved it. I could keep going on and on, the conditions those people live in over there are horrific. (let alone the soldiers) It was worse than I could have even imagined. I can't believe she lived there for a year. The sand storms, the camel spiders, and scorpians, and the mice.....one port-a-potty for an entire unit! I found myself thinking how grateful I am to live in America. And how grateful I am for the men and woman that serve our country. And I know our country is dealing with alot right now, we should never forget how lucky we are.

4 comments:

Shalie said...

It's good to hear things like that and to see it from another perspective! thanks for sharing. Tell Dixie she looks much better when she isn't covering her entire face :)

Stylin' Binder's said...

Good to see this...as you do I wish more of America would be educated on this. Its hard to try and tell people these things when they believe everything, I mean everything the media tells them.

-Josh

Stephanie said...

Thanks for sharing that, it's always important to remember how blessed we are in this country. That sounds like an awesome presentation!

Miller Family said...

Sounds like a great thing that you learned about! I love all of your High School Pictures!